Wednesday 22 November 2006

Brits, do we like them?

I was so eager to go to Britain that I finally managed to do it this summer. Mission accomplished, so to speak. I came back much more experienced and with better knowledge of English culture. But what stroke me most was the exaggerated politeness of English people (or maybe it only seems to be so coz in Poland it's 'a little bit' different, if you know what I mean...). Let me give you an example. A bus. People who want to get on the bus patiently wait till everybody gets off. Nobody shoulders and even elderly people let the young first. Can you imagine the same situation in Poland? Never!

I've also noticed that they thank for everything, literally. And to express it they mostly use: 'cheers (mate)!' or 'ta!' Oh, I just love these two phrases! Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of the wonderful holidays I had

I'd even risk calling it "a business language." Why? Because of its politeness. It makes it very diplomatic...

At first you think: 'wow, they're so polite and cheerful!' Unfortunately, it's often only "a cover." I know from experience that they can call you darling, love etc. and then gossip behind your back. Of course not everyone does it, but I think it's quite common.

But then again, how can I not love English people, their culture, and their b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l (sometimes even sexy ) accent!


Cheers!

No comments: